Re: [PARPORT] Syquest and printer [and Zip disk, to]

Tim Waugh (tim@cyberelk.demon.co.uk)
Sat, 22 May 1999 08:29:11 +0100 (GMT)

On Sat, 22 May 1999, Matthew Vanecek wrote:

> Attached below is a script of the 'cat's of parport/0/*. Dunno if it
> would help. Tim Waugh has copies of my dmesg/module loading output, but
> I could run it again for you, if you'd like.

Here's what happens when Matthew loads the module, for the benefit of the
list:

ppa: Version 2.03 (for Linux 2.2.x)
ppa: Found device at ID 6, Attempting to use EPP 32 bit
ppa: Communication established with ID 6 using EPP 32 bit
scsi2 : Iomega VPI0 (ppa) interface
scsi : 3 hosts.
  Vendor: IOMEGA Model: ZIP 100 Rev: D.08
Detected scsi removable disk sdb at scsi2, channel 0, id 6, lun 0
SCSI device sdb: hdwr sector= 512 bytes. Sectors= 196608 [96 MB] [0.1 GB]
sdb: Write Protect is off
 sdb: sdb4

> Doesn't matter if it's mounted or not. Once I insmod ppa, printing
> stops. If I mount or don't mount, once I unplug and plug back in the
> Zip's power cord, printing starts again. Until I do something that
> accesses ppa/the zip drive, at which point printing stops again.

And this means that the Zip is preventing pass-through data from getting
to the printer.