Re: [PARPORT] Syquest and printer [and Zip disk, to]

Tim Waugh (tim@cyberelk.demon.co.uk)
Sat, 22 May 1999 09:00:32 +0100 (GMT)

On Sat, 22 May 1999, Matthew Vanecek wrote:

> would help. Tim Waugh has copies of my dmesg/module loading output, but
> I could run it again for you, if you'd like.

Matthew, you sent me the output of dmesg before starting to load modules.
Please try this:

# cat /proc/modules
# # No modules loaded
# dmesg -c > /dev/null # clear out ring buffer
# insmod parport
# insmod parport_pc
# insmod lp
# insmod ppa
# dmesg # now we see the messages produced by all four modules

The reason you see output from ppa normally is that the ppa driver doesn't
specify a logging level for its messages, so they get the default. It
also so happens that the console gets messages that are the default
logging level.

It's something I've been meaning to try and change, actually. I think
those messages should have KERN_INFO level. Those of us who run a printer
console will save some paper... ;-)