Re: [PARPORT] Iomega Ditto Max Pro only works with tar not cpio

Juergen Leising (a0037@stud.uni-bayreuth.de)
Wed, 26 May 1999 01:38:48 +0200

On Tue, May 25, 1999 at 06:47:32PM +0100, Neil Soper wrote:
(...)
> However I still had the situation where I could write and read to the device
> with tar but not cpio. The answer was to set the --block-size option for
> cpio to the default block size used by tar ,a value of 20 (* 512 bytes).
> This works but I am not sure why, I guess maybe something to do with buffer
> sizes.

...zftape uses a fixed block size (default: 10 kb), whereas cat,
echo, dd or cpio/afio need different values. Solution in general:

        ftmt -f /dev/qft0 setblk 0

so you needn't worry about the exact block size your favourite
backup utility uses.

Alternative solution:

in case of dd:

        dd if=sourcefile of=/dev/qft0 obs=10240