[PARPORT] Re: ZIP-Drive and Printer problem

Joachim Woll (woll@hrz.uni-kassel.de)
Thu, 27 May 1999 12:26:16 +0200

>This is a known issue with the PPA driver, and it seems to only affect
>certain hardware in certain modes. You could verify that this is the same
>problem by loading ppa, writing 'mode=1' to /proc/scsi/ppa/*, mounting
>the zip disk, loading lp and trying to print. If it is the same problem,
>you'll be able to print that way.

YES! This is the same problem.

>What modes does your BIOS offer for your parallel port? You could try
>different modes to see if that helps. Any information on this is useful.

-> The BIOS settings (Award on an ASUS P5A board) is
Parallel port mode: ECP/EPP
ECP DMA select: 3 (how can I use it?)

-> cat /proc/parport/0/hardware
base: 0x378
irq: 7
dma: none
modes: SPP,ECP,ECPEPP,ECPPS2

Other BIOS modes do not fix that problem. So I decided to use the defaults...
parport driver is linked statcally into kernel.

JW