Re: [PARPORT] Re: ZIP-Drive and Printer problem

Matthew Vanecek (mev0003@unt.edu)
Sat, 29 May 1999 23:21:02 +0000

David Campbell wrote:

> This is worse than I thought (it is affecting a lot more people than just one or two).
>
> > -> The BIOS settings (Award on an ASUS P5A board) is
>
> My TX97-L is nearly 12 months old. Something that is very suspicious is the "ALi® M1543 Super I/O Controller". Is there a WinBond chip on the board? (should be very close to the serial/parallel port connectors). My mainboard uses a WinBond chip for the parallel/serial port access so hopefully we can elliminate that as a possible cause.
>
> Does anyone have the above problem and DO NOT have and ALi (Aladin) chipset board?
>
> > Parallel port mode: ECP/EPP
> > ECP DMA select: 3 (how can I use it?)
>
> ECP DMA is not used by the ZIP drive, nor is it autoprobed.
>
> > Other BIOS modes do not fix that problem.
>
> I need to check but the EPP probe is probably always on but expected to fail.

Why is it expected to fail?

> David Campbell

My board is the Asus P5A Super 7 board. The AGP and IDE controllers are
ALi, not sure about the I/O controller. The manual doesn't specify.
There *is* a little Winbond chip there, right below the cache near the
serial/parallel ports. According to the BIOS and the manual, there *is*
no SPP mode available. EPP, ECP, and ECP+EPP are all that are
available.

I, for one, am glad to see that I'm not the only one suffering this
problem. Means I'm not crazy! :)

--
Matthew Vanecek
Course of Study: http://www.unt.edu/bcis