Re: [PARPORT] autoloading of ppa and imm faulty

David Campbell (campbell@gear.torque.net)
Mon, 31 May 1999 07:50:37 +0800

Date sent: Sun, 30 May 1999 18:13:12 +0200
From: Juergen Leising <a0037@stud.uni-bayreuth.de>
To: linux-parport@torque.net
Subject: [PARPORT] autoloading of ppa and imm faulty
Send reply to: Juergen Leising <a0037@stud.uni-bayreuth.de>

> Hello to all,
>
> I have one (hardware) parallel port, redhat 5.2, kernel 2.2.9, ppa0205,
> one "autodetect" zip drive, one ditto max external and one printer.
>
> I want to have ppa resp. imm being loaded by kmod absolutely automatically.
> There should be several alternatives, but only one works:
>
> - sd_mod as a module + ppa: Works fine!
> - sd_mod statically compiled into the kernel + ppa: Doesn't work
> - sd_mod as a module + imm: Doesn't work
> - sd_mod statically compiled into the kernel + imm: Doesn't work
>
> Note, I have that newer zip drive.

ppa working means that you have a ZIP drive with the older interface.
There appears to be quite a few older ZIP drives still on shop
shelves.

The failure when the ppa is compiled into the kernel could be caused
by parport / parport_pc are compiled as module. I would like to see
the output from dmesg for the case of "sd_mod statically compiled
into the kernel + ppa".

David Campbell