Re: [PARPORT] LP does not load parport_pc

Andy Tomlin (atomlin@flash.net)
Tue, 01 Jun 1999 08:17:54 -0700

Posting missing Email, reply at end.:
Andy Wrote:

>> >dmesg?

>> >Doesn't it say anything about it? What about if you leave off the irq
>> >option? 2.2.9 is more verbose about this sort of thing.
>>
>> Well I upgraded to 2.2.9 and tried what you said.
>> I tested the different configurations by modprobe lp
>>
>> Case 1: no options on parport_pc (delete whole line from conf.modules)
>> dmesg 'lp: driver loaded but no devices found'
>> lp and parport are loaded, parport_pc is not
>>
>> Case 2: io and irq options in conf.modules
>> dmesg 'lp: driver loaded but no devices found'
>> lp and parport are loaded, parport_pc is not
>>
>> Case 3:just io options in conf.modules
>> dmesg 'lp: driver loaded but no devices found'
>> lp and parport are loaded, parport_pc is not
>> if I modprobe parport_pc dmesg does give more info
>> '0x378: CTR: wrote 0x0c, read 0xec'
>> 'parport0: PC-style at 0x378 [SPP]'
>>
>> In every case parport_pc does not get loaded. It seems like the
>> dependancies on which modules need which are incorrect.
>>
>> If I modprobe lp I get lp and parport loaded
>> If I modprobe parport then just parport gets loaded
>> If I modprobe parport_pc then parport_pc and parport get loaded
>>
>> After looking through some of the code I found
>> /lib/modules/2.2.9/modules.dep
>> I changed the line for the lp.o dependancies from parport.o ->
>> parport_pc.o
>> modprobe lp and everything loads!!!! Printing seems to work ok except
>> for
>> print ASCII test page directly to port prints one word 'line' in the
>> top right corner and print ASCII test page prints nothing. Print
>> Postscript
>> testpage works as it should.
>>
>> The main question is why does my configuration seem to operate this way?
>> tried working through the Makefile and mkdep.c but I need to spend
>> much more time to figure this - any ideas

Tim replied:
> Aha. Could you try recompiling the parport_pc module after a small
> change? In the function parport_SPP_supported, there is a line like 'if
> ((r & 0x3f) == w) {'. Please change the '0x3f' to '0xf'.

I recompiled parport_pc and changed the module, just that line and got
message
'0x378: CTR: wrote 0x0e, read 0xee'
so I then changed the line a few after the first one, modifying the bit
mask from 3f to f
That seemed to work ok as far as recognising the port. However I still
have the
problem mentioned before with the module dependancy. modprobe lp still
does not
load parport_pc unless I change modules.dep

Cheers Andy