Re: [PARPORT] ECP support for cdrecord (with HP7500 CD-writer with kernel 2.2.1)

grant@torque.net
Mon, 7 Jun 1999 10:43:31 -0400 (EDT)

> After reading all the messages pertaining to the HP7200
> CD-writer with cdrecord, I get the impression that having EPP
> (as opposed to ECP or bi-directional, which is what I have)
> at the moment is a prerequisite.

You can write at 1x with a bidirectional port, EPP is a requirement
for 2x writing.

You are correct that ECP is not supported. However, you may find that
your parallel port chip is capable of EPP, even though the BIOS doesn't
acknowledge the possibility.

There is a DOS program called "testport" on www.micro-solutions.com that
can be used to analyse your port and see if it is capable of EPP.

Try
                testport -epp

and see what happens.

> However, my VAIO-808 only has ECP and bi-directional.
> Is there any hope that ECP will be supported at any point?
> (running debian kernel 2.2.1, cdrecord 1.6 and 1.8 with HP7500e)
>
> In loading the pg module, the HP 7500 is actually recognized in the
> printout, which I assume to mean, somehow, that it is compatable with
> the 7200.

Later you mention that pcd works fine. There seems to be evidence
mounting that the 7500 and cdrecord have some sort of problem.

While you clearly have a problem - it doesn't seem to related to pg,
and certainly not to the presence or absence of EPP mode.

> I get a problem with cdrecord -scanbus in that though something
> is recognized at the zero position, it doesn't know what it is -
> from the examples shown, the HP device should be printed.

It would be more useful if you could show us exactly what messages you
do see. Load pg with "verbose=2" and use dmesg to show the communication
between cdrecord and pg as things fail.

Of course, we want to see the stdout and stderr from cdrecord as well
as the pg kernel log.