Re: [PARPORT] Port Protocols

Tim Waugh (tim@cyberelk.demon.co.uk)
Mon, 7 Jun 1999 21:21:09 +0100 (GMT)

On Mon, 7 Jun 1999, Jim Ford wrote:

> What do the accronyms ECP, ECPEPP and ECPPS2 mean? My IO card supports

Extended Capabilities Port. ECP+EPP is EPP-mode for an ECP chip. ECP
PS/2 is PS/2 (bi-directional) mode for an ECP chip.

> SPP (Standard Parallel Port I guess), EPP (Enhanced Parallel Port?)
> and ECP. What protocol would be best for my card - I'm currently using
> SPP and getting lost data through the printer buffer overflowing.

That should never happen. How much data is lost, what type of printer is
it, and what kernel version are you running? If the printer's buffer gets
full, it will (should) advertise itself as being 'busy', in which case
we'll wait around for it to catch up.