[PARPORT] Re: linux 2.x kernel lp.c and parport.c bug

Marcin Dalecki (dalecki@dacotec.net)
Tue, 08 Jun 1999 09:09:54 +0200

Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Jun 1999, Yan Seiner wrote:
>
> >when using manual feed with a limited time-out, the printer crashes with
> >either an illegal instruction or a reboot after two or three jobs.
>
> lp is simply sending data to the printer when the printer says to be
> _ready_ (and without pending errors). You may want to try also increasing
> the delay of lp in setting and releasing the strobe, try:
>
> tunelp /dev/lp0 -w 50
>
> I don't have Xerox hardware so I couldn't notice that. We'll fix the
> problem as soon as I'll have some more info (knowing if Xerox is using
> some proprietary protocol would be very helpful).
>
> If you have no info about the protocol I can send you some debugging code
> to see what's happening on the wire.
>
> I suggest you also to try out also latest Tim's ieee1284 code to see if
> you can reproduce with it. (ftp://ftp.torque.net/pub/parport/ if I remeber
> well)
>
> Andrea Arcangeli

I can basically observe similiar behaviour with the OKI4w printer.
Suddenly the printing just stops. Therefore I would be just interrested
in your's debugging code too...

--Marcin