Re: [PARPORT] "Magic Convertor II Plus" from Dotop Co., Ltd

grant@torque.net
Mon, 14 Jun 1999 17:12:41 -0400 (EDT)

> I found this piece of HW in my basement:
>
> "Magic Convertor II Plus" from Dotop Co., Ltd

Never heard of it ;-) From the description, however, I'd guess that it
dates from 1990 or so ...

> I just bought Phillips CDD-2000 CD-R drive and so I thought I could make
> them work somehow together.

Unless the device can do EPP, it's a losing proposition.

> This "Magic Convertor II Plus" is a small 2"x4" box, one side plugs into
> parallel port and the other side has two connectors; one for SCSI and one
> for Printer (again parallel port). It requires external 5V DC power. It

There were a few devices like this from manufacturers like NEC, HP and Iomega.
The original PPA (for Bernoulli drives) looked like that.

> "NCR 53C80

Many of these things were, in fact, based on the 5380.

> other than that there is about 25 capacitors, 15 resistors, a couple of
> transistors, a couple of diods, one inductor, and three 8-pin ?SCSI
> terminators? or something like that.

The rest of the adapter seems to have been built from standard off-the-shelf
components.

If the device is as old as it seems (most of these things have been based
on single ASICs for at least 4 or 5 years now) it almost certainly cannot
do EPP. In that case, you would not be able to burn CDs on your CDD-2000.

If you still have the DOS drivers for it, and are interested in doing
some experimentation, it may be possible to get it working in SPP and PS/2
mode. If you don't have the DOS drivers, your only hope is that somebody
else here might recognise it as something else relabelled.