Re: [PARPORT] DEC Alpha troubles again (2.2.5, SyQuest ezflyer)

Tim Waugh (tim@cyberelk.demon.co.uk)
Fri, 18 Jun 1999 19:40:38 +0100 (GMT)

On Fri, 18 Jun 1999 grant@torque.net wrote:

> I don't know where you are, but if you can get the Lava card, do.
> There are only two choices as far as I know, it and the SIIG card.

I've seen a PCI parallel card from Microcomputer Research, Inc., but they
are too incompetent to give me specs on it (not even so much as a vendor
ID, and their tech people don't seem to know what a PCI bus _is_).

> The evidence seems to be that the Lava card is a true high-speed EPP
> device, while the SIIG is a proprietary printer accelerator. (It
> doesn't hurt that the Lava card is made here in Toronto, either ;-) ).

I have a SIIG card here (dual parallel ports). It is an ECP device, and
my latest parport_pc code says things like this about it:

0xfff0: FIFO is 16 bytes
0xfff0: writeIntrThreshold is 14
0xfff0: readIntrThreshold is 14
parport1: PC-style at 0xfff0 (0xffe4) [PCSPP,TRISTATE,EPP,ECP]

Incidentally, support for SIIG and Lava cards is in 2.3.6.

> What I don't know is if anyone has used one in an Alpha.

Robert Rinker has used a SIIG card in an Alpha. My Multia doesn't have a
PCI slot, unfortunately.

I haven't heard of anyone trying a Lava card on an Alpha, but I don't see
why it shouldn't just work.