Re: [PARPORT] ppscsi/epst mode question(slow scanning w/ hp5200C

David Campbell (campbell@gear.torque.net)
Fri, 25 Jun 1999 16:36:28 +0800

Date sent: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 23:39:08 -0400
From: Mark Thorp Duxbury <marktd@bellsouth.net>
To: linux-parport@torque.net
Subject: Re: [PARPORT] ppscsi/epst mode question(slow scanning w/ hp5200C

> Greetings,

*snip*

Ahh... Sounds like the rant that I did some 30 months ago when the
original EPP enhanced ZIP driver failed for my machine (which is due
for retirement in several weeks). I ended up maintaining the driver,
if you are not careful you might end up maintaining the epst driver
(we could use a few more maintainers).

> I've written a small program that can find a PC97397/87307 it there's
> one in your system (it has an ID register, and provided PnP hasn't moved
> it somewhere wierd, it can only be in a couple of places), probe,
> report, and change the modes of the parallel port. If anyone is
> interested, let me know and I'll send it to you. I can change the chip
> into any mode I want, but installing epst changes the chip back to some
> other mode. I havn't really looked at how epst does what it does.

Please send me a copy, I have been meaning to make chipset specific
extensions to parport but have had "project commitments". (one point
the comment of "if we make sure he doesn't leave the building there
can be no way he could be run over by a bus" was made...)

> Much thanks to "David Campbell" <campbell@gear.torque.net>. I
> downloaded the program you asked me to - but unfortunately it's for the
> 87306 which is completely different, so produced it no output - but I
> looked at your code and it got got me thinking.

I admit it was a long shot, the code is really for 87xxx series IO
chipsets. I have never encountered the 89xxx series but I might soon
have a test machine when I finally get my order through.

> Also, thanks for illuminating my ignorance regarding dmesg.
> It think maybe at one time I knew about this... I think...
> well I like to think that at least. You were right, I was
> really doing things the hard way.

The way I found out about the dmesg command was looking through the
/bin directory on a HP-UX machine trying to figure out what all those
utilities are for. Suprisingly I found it also present under Linux.

> Thanks for the help and if there's anything I can do to help please let
> me know.

Keep working on the chipset kludge routine.

Tim, is there anywhere in parport_pc we can "bury" these chipset
kludges?

David Campbell