[PARPORT] A problem solved

simmons@acad.udallas.edu
Sat, 26 Jun 1999 16:24:20 -0500

I joined this list a few days ago ready to ask for help with a problem
that was vexing me, but I think I've already solved it. Here it is:

For months I was mounting my syquest ezflyer by going through the
    insmod parport
    insmod paride
    insmod epat
    insmod pd
routine.

A month or so ago I recompiled my kernal in order to enable scsi support
so I can use the cdrw I recently acquired. While I was at it, I made
several changes in the kernel, each of which seemed (and in fact was)
quite unproblematic.

One change was that I went from using a parport module to having parport
support built into the kernel. Then, when I went to mount my syquest
(which I only very rarely do), the old routine (which begins, recall,
with 'insmod parport') didn't work. The parport, paride and epat modules
all loaded, but the pd module wouldn't. Then, when I tried to rmmod all
the modules, the parport module (which had 'loaded' as a module)
wouldn't unload -- because the parport device was (not surprisingly)
busy.

If only I had remembered that I'd built parport into the kernel, things
would have been fine. But as it was, I kept trying to load paride and
epat (both of which loaded fine), only to have pd fail.

Is there a more general lesson in this: don't load a module for a device
you've already built into the kernel, since you won't be able to use it
properly, but you won't be able to 'unload' it?

Lance Simmons