Re: [PARPORT] Question:

Karl-Max Wagner (karlmax@oberland.net)
Thu, 1 Jul 1999 22:23:21 +0000 (GMT)

> I am trying to get the avatar shark 250 to work. After the reboot (once
> the kernel is installed and such) I get the following message at boot time
> (read from dmesg):
>
> Partition check:
> request_module[parport_lowlevel]: Root fs not mounted
> request_module[parport_lowlevel]: Root fs not mounted
> request_module[parport_lowlevel]: Root fs not mounted
> request_module[parport_lowlevel]: Root fs not mounted
> request_module[parport_lowlevel]: Root fs not mounted
> request_module[parport_lowlevel]: Root fs not mounted
> pda: Autoprobe failed
> pd: no valid drive found
> hda: hda1 hda2 < hda5 hda6 >
> hdb: hdb1 hdb2 hdb3 hdb4
> hdc: hdc1 hdc2 < hdc5 hdc6 hdc7 >
> VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly.

Seems to me that you compiled some parport stuff into the kernel
and other as loadable modules. Now the stuff already in the
kernel tries to get hold of the stuff that is still missing by
fs isn't available yet and so it fails (well, I think you
guessed that already).

To get rid of this problem either compile everything into the
kernel or everything as modules. Do not mix, this is generally a
bad idea (not only with parport stuff).

> It then goes on to mount the fs's. I have looked in several places to get
> the kernel to mount the drives BEFORE checking for parides but have been
> unsuccessful in doing so. Any ideas?

Obviously. This has to do with internal kernel sequences which
cannot be changed so easily.

"It was hell. They knew it. Karl-Max Wagner
  But they called it karlmax@oberland.net
    W-I-N-D-O-Z-E" ham radio: DB8CO
    *********Member of No Code International*********