[PARPORT] Has anyone read a printer sending data to a linux lp port?

Mike Rushford (rushford@wenet.net)
Sun, 11 Jul 1999 00:11:26 +0000

Hi;

A friend has this really old computer and wants to get the files that
can be printed off of it. It has disk drives that are not
compatible with any modern equipment we have. It has no idea about
networking. However it can print to it parallel port and we think this
is a standard centronics like connector.

We want to get the files that print to paper out to files on a linux
box. We are thinking we would connect this centronics connector to a
parallel port on a linux box and read in all the data that gets send
when the really old machine starts printing (to what it thinks is a
printer). Instead of a paper trail we would log the incoming to ascii
files on the linux machine.

Has this been done and could someone point me to the application that
would be of interest to us or if you have some ideas on how best to
peruse this then please also let us know..

Thanks

--
Mike  rushford@wenet.net  http://www.hooked.net/~tvs/eyes/
 http://sunmil1.uml.edu/tvs/members/mike_rushford.gif