Re: [PARPORT] Microsolutions Backpack

grant@torque.net
Mon, 12 Jul 1999 06:55:13 -0400 (EDT)

> Has anyone had problems in getting the backpack CDROM drive to work
> before? I can't get it to work at all; comes up with all sorts of ATAPI
> phase errors if I enable verbose mode in the driver and then try to
> mount a CD.

There are a number of CD-ROM mechanisms that seem to interpret the
ATAPI standard in ways that pcd does not understand.

Among the messages that you see in the kernel log should be the identification
string from the drive. (Different batches of MSI drives have different
mechanisms in them.)

> I've tried adjusting the driver delay and also tried 4-bit mode without
> success. Interestingly the drive is autodetected by the driver without
> any parameters but if I can verbose mode switched on it shows up as unit
> 2 which seems a little odd!!

How so ? The unit number is the last two digits of your drive's serial
number, unless you have reprogrammed it.

> The drive works from DOS so I expect it's a software rather than
> hardware problem. I can send lots more details giving exact error
> messages, kernel/driver versions etc. FYI, this didn't work with the
> RedHat 5.2 paride boot disk which was made available a while back on the
> web either.

This is not surprising, there haven't been any changes to PARIDE since that
disk was prepared.

I don't have any easy solutions. You've probably already sent me your
verbose=2 traces, but if not, please do so. Perhaps I'll see something
this time.