Re: [PARPORT] header libraries

Tim Waugh (tim@cyberelk.demon.co.uk)
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 19:01:30 +0100 (GMT)

On Thu, 15 Jul 1999, Karl Tipple wrote:

> Can anyone tell me which header files and/or libraries in the LINUX
> gcc C compiler that I need to include so that I can use the 'inp' and
> 'outp' commands to access my parallel port? In DOS, those functions
> are in my 'dos.h' header file. I want to port this to LINUX, and I
> don't think that 'dos.h' will help much here :-)

I think the short answer is <sys/io.h>, and they're called inb and outb.
You also need to be root, and you also need to call ioperm or iopl.

The longer answer is really more of a question. What exactly is this for?
In very new kernels there is a way of doing this so that it stands a
chance of working on other architectures, as well as being able to take
advantage of IEEE 1284 routines, and all without needing to be root.

If this is for fun and you can stand to play with development kernels,
this might be the way to go; on the other hand, if you have deadlines to
meet, go for inb/outb.