Re: [PARPORT] User space ECP

Tim Waugh (tim@cyberelk.demon.co.uk)
Sat, 17 Jul 1999 20:05:31 +0100 (GMT)

On Sat, 17 Jul 1999, Tim Waugh wrote:

> I have a demo program actually, and it's so small I may as well include it
> here.

.. and the deliberate bug is in the Makefile: the minor numbers should be
0, 16, 32, etc., not 0, 1, 2.

It's this way in order to preserve a bit more compatibility with ppuser,
with assigned meaning to the low nibble of the minor number. I _could_
just break that and get rid of the limit of 8 ports, but I don't know how
many people are using ppuser. I keep hearing of more.

In fact, come to think of it, it really isn't that much of a problem to
just use 0, 1, 2, etc., since applications are likely to look at the names
not the major/minors. I'll send a patch to Linus.