[PARPORT] disabling pg sanity checks?

Brian T. Schellenberger (bts@babble.on.home)
Thu, 29 Jul 1999 01:10:16 -0400

Ok, I've played around even furhter, and determined that EPP mode does
seem, in fact, to work, as long as I can get pg to ignore the fact that
it says it doesn't. Under Windows, the "Shuttle" program recognizes
that it's in EPP. If I burn a disk I get a couple errors [they say
"D0100 error (05/64/00) Command error - illegal mode for this track",
which I don't find terribly enlightening] *BUT* the Burned CD, in actual
point of fact, comes out fine and I can burn them at 2x speed and still
do stuff under Windows. And the buffer never goes to less than
98% full.

*So* what I really want to do is create my own hacked version of the pg
driver that is hard-coded to know whatever it needs to know about the
HP-7500 and ignore error codes from the parallel port since it is a
known liar. (Of course I'll only know if the CD fails by reading it,
but c'est la vive.)

Has anybody done anything like this? Any pointers?

(I can get the drive to speak to me by using SPP mode; it just
underflows when I do that, so that provides a means for me to get the
correct parameter values; more simply, I can jut make it force the data
to be provided on the command line and take it as gospel truth.)

See my earlier mail for the details of the messages I'm getting and what
already works; I'll refrain from cluttering this message with redundant
information.

Also, how do I know if my EPP is 8-, 16-, or 32-bit? When I use
SPP mode, I'm simply informed that it connected in mode 1 (3/5), which
I guess means that it's either 8- or 32-bit, but how can I tell which?
I can't use mode 1 if I'm hacking "pg" to not be allowed to ask the
device which one works . . .

Any help or pointers appreciated.

--
Brian T. Schellenberger, "Brian, the man from babble-on"
babbleon@bigfoot.com

Things can't be too bad in a world with swing music, can they?