[PARPORT] handshake with signals?

Eva Kalivianaki (ekalyv@csi.forth.gr)
Thu, 29 Jul 1999 12:44:30 +0300 (EET DST)

Hi,
this is my first mail to linux-parport mailing list.
I've been studying for some time now the "lp.c" driver
for the parport in linux.(You can find this file int the
sources of linux in the dir:linux/drivers/char.)
I understood (correct me if am wrong )
that any transaction between the parport and the
peripheral ,that is connected to the parport,is been accomplished
by asserting or deasserting all the signals (e.g. STROBE)at the right
moment.This is done in the "lp.c" driver.
I would like to know if there is any other way to accomplish the
transaction via a special hardware that would do all the work for
the signals for you.I mean if i can set this hardware on ,give the
data that i want to write to the peripheral and then the hardware
will do the rest.I am working in ECP mode.
Finally i would also like to know what is the maximum throughput one
can get with the parport.
Thank you in advance.
Eva