[PARPORT] Hacking parport drivers

Brian T. Schellenberger (bts@babble.on.home)
Sat, 31 Jul 1999 01:24:00 -0400

First of all, my posts lately have all been met with thunderous silence.

Have I offended y'all? Broken some rule of which I was unaware? If
so, my apolgoies.

Anyway . . .

1. Is there any way to debug a kernel module? I can't even imagine
how to invoke the debugger on it. I'm using good ol' printk now, but
was hoping there was a better way by now . . . .

2. How can I make just the parport modules? When I try this, I get:

[paride]# make
Makefile:174: /Rules.make: No such file or directory
make: *** No rule to make target `/Rules.make'. Stop.

I can go up to the kernel root and "make modules" from there, but then
it re-
compiles *everything* (which seems to obviate the whole purpose of make,

but that's another story). This makes using printk for debugger *very*
tiresome. How can I get it to compile only the paride pieces?

3. The structures in paride.h are shared only among paride and its
minions,
right? (I changed the pi structure in paride.h and that's safe so long
as I
insmod only my hacked versions of paride, epat, and pg/pd/pcd, right?)

PS: I did check for a "building kernel modules" howto but didn't see one.

--
Brian T. Schellenberger, "Brian, the man from babble-on"
babbleon@bigfoot.com

Things can't be too bad in a world with swing music, can they?