Re: [PARPORT] Hacking parport drivers

Tim Waugh (tim@cyberelk.demon.co.uk)
Sat, 31 Jul 1999 21:03:20 +0100 (GMT)

On Sat, 31 Jul 1999, Brian T. Schellenberger wrote:

> 1. Is there any way to debug a kernel module? I can't even imagine
> how to invoke the debugger on it. I'm using good ol' printk now, but
> was hoping there was a better way by now . . . .

Debug using your eyes. ;-) Alternatively, there are actually several
kernel debuggers, although I haven't used any of them yet. You can debug
over the serial line if you have another computer and want to apply a
patch to the kernel you are debugging; you can use ikdb (which I think
Andrea maintains at the moment); or you can use kdb, which is an SGI
patch. Check out the linux-kernel mailing list archives for more
information on these.

> 2. How can I make just the parport modules? When I try this, I get:

You _should_ be able to 'make drivers/parport/parport_pc.o' from the top
level, but I don't think that actually works reliably yet (and maybe
never will..). :-(

Otherwise, if you are just making small changes to C files, make will only
remake the files you have changed. If you change a header file then it
will remake everything that depends on it of course.