Re: [PARPORT] H45 QuickCD HELP!

grant@torque.net
Sun, 8 Aug 1999 12:20:21 -0400 (EDT)

> I need help with my parallel port H45 technologies QuickCD. I have the
> Linux-Mandrake (RedHat) 6.0...but I can't install it until I get this darn
> CD-ROM recognized. I'm not using Windows. I am just running DOS right now.
> When I go to install Linux, I get as far as the "where do you want to
> install Linux from" message. I pick CD-ROM and then it asks SCSI or local
> CD-ROM. I spent a whole day trying different ones, trying to do the expert
> mode thing, I just can't figure out how to tell Linux where my CD-ROM is!

I don't know anything about Mandrake, but RedHat's installer disk does not
support installation from parallel port devices (yet). I have
correspondence indicating that they intended to put out a 6.0 disk with
support for the PARIDE drivers, but I suspect we won't see that now until
the next release (if then).

I've been making special installation floppies for several years, but
when RedHat indicated their intention to do it themselves, I decided it
was not worth my time to duplicate that effort.

I'll try once more to get some clarification of their intentions.