Re: [PARPORT] Spammers out there?

Jan-Benedict Glaw (jbglaw@lug-owl.de)
Mon, 23 Aug 1999 14:06:18 +0200

On Sun, Aug 22, 1999 at 08:08:17PM -0400, grant@torque.net wrote:
> > Most of the last mails I got from this list were some kind of spam;( Is
> > anybody willing to exclude them (add some FW input rules, check sender, ...)?
>
> And if you are on the linux-kernel mailing list, you'll know that things
> are even worse there.
>
> "Is anybody willing" ? Yes, I'm willing, if you think you have a solution
> I'd love to hear it. FYI: every one of the spams that has got through has
> come from a valid email address. The standard rules are already in place.
>
> I'd be willing to re-enable the rules that permit only members to post, but
> If I do that, I will _not_ make exceptions for anyone - all messages from
> non-subscribers will be automatically discarded. Unfortunately, this would
> cut off some of the most prolific (and valued) posters to the list.

Well, I'd not like to see closing this list to subscribers only. This would
would be a step back;( However, linux-parport doesn't have that much traffic,
so this list could (IMHO) easily be converted into a managed list with a
short number of volunteers (/me volunteers; I'm located in germany as you
see;). OTOH these spammers should be located and ********ed! I've thrown
away these mails but could anybodylook up whether or not they originated
from one (or a very small number of) IP addresses? Maybe they could easily be
blocked.

MfG, JBG

--
Fehler eingestehen, Größe zeigen: Nehmt die Rechtschreibreform zurück!!!