Re: [PARPORT] My parport LS120 slows RH52

grant@torque.net
Wed, 25 Aug 1999 09:01:01 -0400 (EDT)

> I got an Imation LS120 drive connected to the parallelport.
> When I use it, the computer goes really, really slow.
> If I remeber correctly, there was a post about this a while ago, but I
> don't seem to able to find it, so could I get some help with this?
> I run Red Hat 5.2 (soon 6.0).

The first thing to check is the parallel port mode. Make sure your port
is set to EPP mode. Then check that 'pf' reports mode 5 when it loads.
(Use dmesg to check that.) Make sure you are not getting media errors -
they can really drag things down.

You can also experiment with the "nice" option when you load pf. Setting
nice=2 should reduce the amount of CPU used by the driver. If you are low
on memory, however, you could see stalls when the buffers get filled with
blocks destined for the floppy.

That's about it for abstract hints. Post details and we may be able to
say more.