Re: [PARPORT] Orb drive?

grant@torque.net
Tue, 31 Aug 1999 11:40:44 -0400 (EDT)

> Does anybody know whether the Orb drive follows a protocol that
> is understood by one of the paride modules? Does anybody actually
> have an Orb drive to see how it works in real life?

I have an Orb drive. It uses the on26 PARIDE protocol. I had some
trouble getting media for it, though. I don't think they've greased
the distributors quite correctly - there seem to be a bunch of
"no rights" wars over territories ...

(Look back through the archives for some comments on their cluelessness
when it came to dealing with the Linux community.)

> ALSO, still pending are my questions (from weeks ago) about:
>
> a) How to actually write multi-session CDs with pg, and

This is not a parport matter. Ask on the cdwrite mailing list.

> b) What might be wrong with my parallel port, which is a
>
> LPT= 0378, C0 00 FF 00 00
> Bidirectional
> Chipset: SMC FDC37C665IR
> Mode: EPP

Unfortunately, I've never actually got near one of these mythical chips.
Someone did work on a configuration tool for it - but I've lost track of
the details.

One warning about the ORB drive: the OnSpec adapter that it uses is
more particular about the ports that it is connected to than the EPAT
adapter in the HP drives. If you are having difficulty with the HP,
expect more trouble with the OnSpec adapter. :-(