Re: [PARPORT] No way to find valide drive ???

grant@torque.net
Tue, 31 Aug 1999 16:25:44 -0400 (EDT)

> I try to use an old BackPack HD model 150100 (100Mo), S/N 21005184.
> It used to work fine with an old 486 laptop under Win95
>
> insmod parport
> insmod paride
> insmod bpck
> insmod pd drive0=0x378,0,84
> -> /lib/modules/2.2.5-ac3-5mdk/misc/pd.o: init_module: Périphérique ou
> ressource occupé
>
> and here is my dmesg :
>
> paride: version 1.04 installed
> paride: bpck registered as protocol 0
> pd: pd version 1.05, major 45, cluster 64, nice 0
> pda: Autoprobe failed
> pd: no valid drive found
>
> I need your help

This drive may be so old that it uses an older version of the backpack
protocol that is not supported by PARIDE.

I know of three versions of the backpack protocol. The first version
was used with some non-ATAPI CD-ROMs and early IDE hard drives. The second
is used in all current products except the CD-RW drive. The third version
is used in the new CD-RW drives. At this time, only the second version
is supported by bpck. There will be a driver for the third version soon
but it is not ready yet.

Now, back to your problem. Please try loading pd with

        insmod pd verbose=1

and report the kernel log messages. (Use dmesg to retrieve them.)

Unfortunately, I don't remember the mapping of product codes to protocol
versions.