Re: [PARPORT] Lava Parallel-PCI

Tim Waugh (tim@cyberelk.demon.co.uk)
Wed, 1 Sep 1999 06:38:57 +0100 (GMT)

On Tue, 31 Aug 1999, Robin Garza wrote:

> Questions are.
> 1. Does having the printer connected thru scanner even tho I have no
> driver for scanner make a difference in getting the printer to work.

It shouldn't make a difference, but it's always possible. The scanner
will likely need to be powered on in order for the pass-through port to
work.

> 2. Is there something else I need to do to get the printer recognized
> in /proc/parport/autoprobe. Should it say there Epson Stylus Printer or
> some such?

It doesn't really matter if it isn't recognised. Andrea, you've got one
of these printers haven't you? Does yours respond to the autoprobe?

> 3. How exactly do I have the modules installed so they are loaded when
> I boot up. I am new to linux so if you say add a line to lilo command
> line or to kernel. I am not sure exactly where that goes. So the more
> specific you can be there better for me.

If you put some lines in /etc/conf.modules, the modules will be loaded up
when /dev/lp[012] is accessed. You just want something like 'alias
parport_lowlevel parport_pc' and 'options parport_pc io=0x378,0x278
irq=auto,10'.

You haven't really said what goes wrong when you try setting up the
printer. What happens if (as root) you echo some stuff to /dev/lp1?

(I won't read your reply for about a week, since I'll be out of email
contact)