Re: [PARPORT] Sony Super Station, again

grant@torque.net
Wed, 1 Sep 1999 10:42:37 -0400 (EDT)

> I've got a Sony Super Station tape drive that I'm trying to get to work
> under Debian GNU/Linux. I've reviewed the archives of this mailing list,
> and I noticed that there has been some discussion of this particular drive.

I have learned that this drive is essentially the same mechanism as the
"OnStream" drive. These devices require a completely different driver
than traditional SCSI/ATAPI tapes. To keep the story short, media defect
management must be done in software.

They also appear to use some obscure features of the EPAT adapters for
power management.

I have instances of both the Sony/Aiwa and the Onstream products, but
I do not have time to work with them right now.