RE: [PARPORT] Error using HP 5GB drive

John Lange (jlange@cgc.ca)
Thu, 2 Sep 1999 13:19:52 -0500

I can't reply to the list right now because I'm at work, so I'll send it
directly to you (repost it to the list if you like).

Yes, the command I tried was a status command (mt -f /dev/pt0 status). I
think I also tried rewind and some other ones. I didn't check dmesg after
each one, so I don't know which ones came after which commands.

I tried rebooting the machine, but now when I try and load the modules I get
this in dmesg:

#Insmod paride
dmesg = paride: version 1.04 installed

#insmod epat
dmesg = paride: epat registered as protocol 0

# insmod pt
/lib/modules/2.2.9/misc/pt.o: init_module: Device or resource busy

dmesg =
pt: pt version 1.04, major 96
pt0: Autoprobe failed
pt: No ATAPI tape drive detected

The drive is still hooked up, so it must be confused now. I can't power
cycle the drive right now because the whole machine is remote. I'll have to
wait until tonight to try it again.

Could the original problem of reading from the drive be caused by incorrect
parallel port settings in the BIOS? What is the correct setting, and what do
you do if you don't have that one available. This is an older Pentium 100.

Thank you for taking the time to respond,

John Lange