Re: [PARPORT] Printer doesn't work with Parallel port Zip drive,still

Matthew Vanecek (mev0003@unt.edu)
Tue, 14 Sep 1999 17:47:38 -0500

Tim Waugh wrote:
> You could start off just modifying delays and things, I guess. Here's a
> quick hack to see if waiting 5ms instead of 1ms before sending a
> disconnect sequence at initialisation time makes any difference. The
> thing to test is whether printing works after ppa has just loaded (and the
> drive hasn't been accessed yet).
>
> Tim.

I tried the timing changes and a few others. It didn't have any
affect. I also tried enabling the debugging option. Here is the dmesg
output from the module load:

ppa: Communication established with ID 6 using EPP 16 bit
scsi2 : Iomega VPI0 (ppa) interface
scsi : 3 hosts.
ppa: ppa_fail(1) from ppa_engine at line 856
ppa: no device at SCSI ID 0
ppa: ppa_fail(1) from ppa_engine at line 856
ppa: no device at SCSI ID 1
ppa: ppa_fail(1) from ppa_engine at line 856
ppa: no device at SCSI ID 2
ppa: ppa_fail(1) from ppa_engine at line 856
ppa: no device at SCSI ID 3
ppa: ppa_fail(1) from ppa_engine at line 856
ppa: no device at SCSI ID 4
ppa: ppa_fail(1) from ppa_engine at line 856
ppa: no device at SCSI ID 5
  Vendor: IOMEGA Model: ZIP 100 Rev: D.08
Detected scsi removable disk c2b0t6u0 at scsi2, channel 0, id 6, lun 0
ppa: ppa_fail(1) from ppa_engine at line 856
ppa: no device at SCSI ID 7
SCSI device sdb: hdwr sector= 512 bytes. Sectors= 196608 [96 MB] [0.1
GB]
sdb: Write Protect is off
 /dev/sd/c2b0t6u0: p4

I'm not sure where to go in there to stick in some judicious printk's,
because I don't know the sequence of events for what happens when you do
"insmod ppa". Is there some documentation on this somewhere? What's in
the kernel docs is merely some credits in README.ppa, and a few mentions
to "See README.ppa", which seems like a dead end--esp. since Campbell's
ppa web pages seem *wildly* out of date.

--
Matthew Vanecek
Course of Study: http://www.unt.edu/bcis