[PARPORT] Re: RH6 PCD Upgrade -Mount Failed: Dev or Resource Busy

Art Wildman (wildman@mediaone.net)
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 01:15:28 -0400

I just finished an rh5.2-6.0 upgrade/install on my old dell lx486 laptop with
the new boot.img provided by Bill Nottingham the URL is
ftp://people.redhat.com/notting/paride/boot.img
During the upgrade I ran into a bug that appears to be inherant to all RH6
bootdisks when selecting the "Upgrade" method, it scans your hard drive and
fails to unmount some partitions. I didn't get this error when I used the
"Install" method...

After selecting install method "Parallel CDROM", you may get this error
RH6.0 Upgrade menu scans for SCSI devices twice, then reports error:
"Mount Failed: Device or Resouce Busy"

Solution:
CTRL-ALT-F3 should report something like *
* pci probing for SCSI devices
* pci probe found -1 SCSI devices
* making symlink from /tmp/rhimage to image
* unmounting all filesystems
* mounting hda1 on /mnt as type ext2
* calling mount(/tmp/hda1, /mnt, ext2, -1058209792, (nil))
... this may give you the false impression that all your hd partitions were
scanned, mounted and unmounted cleanly. There is probably one hd partition
that did not unmount correctly. I'm not sure why this happens, or why install
scans for SCSI devs twice?, Next try...

CTRL-ALT-F2 will give you a bash shell. Enter the bash# df command and look
for any partitions other than your floppy & cdrom. Then try...
bash# umount /mnt

CTRL-ALT-F1 will take you back to the Install menu & you should be able to
resume.

Art Wildman wrote:

> Bill Nottingham wrote:
> >
> > Art Wildman (wildman@mediaone.net) said:
> > > Next problem: I get through the parallel cdrom autoprobe sequence ok, it takes
> > > awhile but it detects my backpack cd and begins 2nd stage install. I chose
> > > Upgrade then I can hear it scan my hard disk, but F3 screen echoes many
> > > mount/remove pairs for each partition...
> > > *
> > > * calling mount(/tmp/hda2, /mnt, ext2, -1058209792, (nil))
> > > * removing device file /tmp/hda2
> > > ... when rh install program asks twice? for any SCSI adapters -NO, any SCSI
> > > adapters -NO, scanning hard drive again....
> > >
> > > Error: "Mount Failed: Dev or Resource Busy"
> > >
> > > F3 Screen...
> > > ...* removing device file /tmp/hda2
> > > * /proc/scsi/scsi: Attached devices:none
> > >
> > > * no scsi devices are available
> > > * in loadDeviceDriver, ks = 0, typName = SCSI
> > > * pci probing for SCSI devices
> > > * pci probe found -1 SCSI devices
> > > * making symlink from /tmp/rhimage to image
> > > * unmounting all filesystems
> > > * unmounting all filesystems
> > > * mounting hda1 on /mnt as type ext2
> > > * calling mount(/tmp/hda1, /mnt, ext2, -1058209792, (nil))
> >
> > That's really odd ; I just did an upgrade (albiet with
> > hard drive) with the same images.
> >
> > What happens if you hit 'retry' on the menu?
>
> I can hit retry about 18 times and then I get to the next menu where it asks for
> which partition holds my root partition? I chose /dev/hda2 and it gives me the
> same error...
> Error: "Mount Failed: Dev or Resource Busy"
> Could not mount device
>
> Attached is a log file "Pcd_upgd.txt" I created from the bash# prompt while
> researching this, for some reason the Install process scans for scsi devies
> twice and then seems to mount my root partition as /tmp/hda2 ---> /mnt. Then
> when it really needs to mount a root partiton to scan for packages, it is
> confused and unable to mount the file system because it is already mounted. Also
> note, the first umount command I ran via the default path gave me a similar
> error "Dev or Resource Busy", finally after poking around I #cd /usr/bin/ and
> tried umount again. It worked! and I successfully unmounted /tmp/hda2 ---> /mnt.
> Once unmounted, I am able to continue Upgrade. The upgrade still isn't complete
> cause I rebooted to get this file to you. I was not able to shutdown properly
> from within the Install menu and still get fsck forced on all my file systems.
>
> Hope this is usefull, thanks Bill.

-- Art Wildman - wildman@mediaone.net
"...Deep Hack Mode -- that mysterious and frightening state of
conciousness where Mortal Users fear to tread." -- Matt Welsh