[PARPORT] problems with backpack bantam

Harondel J. Sibble (help@pdscc.com)
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 17:23:01 -0700

Howdy folks, after beating my head against the wall on and off for the past
few months, I figured I'd best ask the experts.

I have the MicroSolutions BackPack Bantam drive mdl#181100

I've tried RH5.1, 5.2, 6.0. Mandrake 6.0 and Caldera OL2.2, none of which are
able to detect the drive during installation or afterwards, even if I
recompile the kernel with support for the drive and parallel port drive
support built in. I have read all the docs I can find, tried the various boot
disks avail from the Paraport site etc, yet I never am able to see the drive
under linux. In the case where I recompile the kernel with paraport support
it says, drivers are loaded but no drives found etc. The drive works under
the various flavours of ms windows just fine. In the mean time I've taken to
using my external scsi 4X with a pcmcia scsi controller, but that's really
sloooooow. I'd love to make use of the 24X speed of the backpack if at all
possible.

Any suggestions?

Harondel J. Sibble
Sibble Computer Consulting
help@pdscc.com (pgp enabled) http://www.pdscc.com
(604) 739-3709 (voice/fax) (604) 686-2253 (pager)