Re: [PARPORT] problems with backpack bantam

grant@torque.net
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 20:49:12 -0400 (EDT)

> I have the MicroSolutions BackPack Bantam drive mdl#181100

This really should work with current kernels.

> I've tried RH5.1, 5.2, 6.0. Mandrake 6.0 and Caldera OL2.2, none of which are
> able to detect the drive during installation

There have been a number of problems with the installers, but the new 6.0
installer on the web page really ought to work.

Rather than start there, however, I'd like to get some information.

First, what do you know about your parallel port ? What mode is it set to ?
If you boot into DOS and run the "testport" utility from
www.micro-solutions.com, what does it have to say ?

Using RedHat 6.0 and the stock kernel and modules that come with it,
exactly what appears in the kernel messages when you do:

        insmod parport
        insmod parport_pc
        insmod paride
        insmod bpck
        insmod pcd verbose=1

You can use dmesg to capture the most recent kernel messages to a file.