[PARPORT] PPA Zip: unsupported message byte 187 received

Ian Cameron (I.A.Cameron@open.ac.uk)
Fri, 17 Sep 1999 15:36:27 +0100

Hi,

I have three parallel ports in my machine as follows:

dmesg O/P:

parport0: PC-style at 0x3bc [SPP,PS2]
parport1: PC-style at 0x378 [SPP,ECP,ECPPS2]
parport1: detected irq 7; use procfs to enable interrupt-driven operation.
parport2: PC-style at 0x278 [SPP,PS2]

id_probe O/P:

Probing port 03bc
    SPP port present
    PS/2 bidirectional port present
    EPP not supported at this address
Probing port 0278
    SPP port present
    PS/2 bidirectional port present
Probing port 0378
    SPP port present
    ECP with a 16 byte FIFO present
    Failed Intel bug check. (Phony EPP in ECP)

I can use the PPA driver successfully when connected to /dev/parport1 which is
the parallel port on my Intel SE440BX-2 motherboard configured for ECP mode.

I cannot however use the PPA driver on either of the other ports, which are
both located on a dual parallel port ISA card. The card is no-name, model
number 4110, made in Taiwan.

One of these ports (0x3bc) has the interrupt disabled, as I'm out of
interrupts and this port is used only for printing anyway. The other is set
to IRQ 10 which I have reserved in the BIOS to stop any PCI devices taking it.
 This is the port I want to use for the Zip drive, as I need the ECP capable
port for VMWare.

Unfortunately when I attach my Zip drive to either of the parallel ports on
the ISA board I always get a message which originates from the scsi_mod driver
(drivers/scsi_obsolete.c) about 'unsupported message byte 187 received'. I
figure this must be a parport problem rather than a SCSI driver problem, since
the SCSI driver does not complain if I use the motherboard parallel port.

After this message I get another message from the task swapper, and then the
whole machine locks up solid.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks.

--