Re: [PARPORT] ECP + other bug fixed to parport driver

Jamie Lokier (jamie.lokier@cern.ch)
Sun, 26 Sep 1999 18:40:54 +0200

Tim Waugh wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Sep 1999, Frederick Barnes wrote:
>
> > I wasn't too sure about the removal of that either (Jamie did that one).
> > I'll leave it up to you to decide whether you really want to remove it.
> > Lemme know your thoughts on that.
>
> I saw that too, and kind of assumed it was an oversight. extern inlines
> should have non-inline versions.

We had some messages in the inline and out of line versions, and we
noticed that both show up in the logs.

So something is going wrong. Sometimes the out of line ones are getting
called when inline code should be being used.

Are you sure extern inlines should have out of line versions, given
that the kernel _requires_ inlining to be working at all times? (outb
etc. require this).

I removed the out of line __frob_control because it is called only from
parport_pc. So for the above reason, the out of line one is never
required. I assume the reason for having explicit out of line copies of
the other functions is in case you load the parport_pc module, having
compiled other modules with CONFIG_PARPORT_OTHER.

-- Jamie