Re: [PARPORT] ECP + other bug fixed to parport driver

Tim Waugh (tim@cyberelk.demon.co.uk)
Sun, 26 Sep 1999 18:33:21 +0100 (BST)

On Sun, 26 Sep 1999, Jamie Lokier wrote:

> We had some messages in the inline and out of line versions, and we
> noticed that both show up in the logs.

I imagine some would. There are two ways of calling them: one is to go
through port->ops->..., in which case the non-inline version will get
called; the other is to use one of the macros parport_xxx_yyy, in which
case the inline version will probably be used.

Most of the code should use the macros. Some of the code that doesn't
probably should.

> Are you sure extern inlines should have out of line versions, given
> that the kernel _requires_ inlining to be working at all times? (outb
> etc. require this).

I know that things like outb require it, but I'd rather not needlessly add
more things to the list of those that do.

> I assume the reason for having explicit out of line copies of the
> other functions is in case you load the parport_pc module, having
> compiled other modules with CONFIG_PARPORT_OTHER.

Yes, basically, but also in case gcc decides not to inline _those_
functions (even if it decided to inline outb).