[PARPORT] SparCSI

Gene Heskett (gene_heskett@iolinc.net)
30 Oct 99 18:04:57 -0500

I also sent this to I've Been Moved, but got only a robotic response,
geared for windoze users of course...

Cheers, Gene

--
  Gene Heskett, CET, UHK       |Amiga A2k Zeus040 50 megs fast/2 megs chip
    Ch. Eng. @ WDTV-5          |A2091,GuruRom,1g Seagate,CDROM,Multiface III
                               |Buddha + 4 gig WDC drive, 525 meg tape
                               |Stylus Pro, EnPrint, Picasso-II, 17" vga
         RC5-Moo! 690kkeys/sec isn't much, but it all helps
email gene underscore heskett at iolinc dot net
--

attached mail follows:

I find many references to Shining Technology buried in the various files on the accompanying cd.

This leads me to believe that the sparcsi module from the ppSCSI (V0.91) package might be a suitable driver. With some difficulty, I had to apply the patches to config.in by hand, I have made it compile on a 2.2.13 machine.

It *is* the only one I can 'insmod sparcsi' without getting 'device or resource busy' messages.

However, I'm not having any luck actually talking to it, or finding it with the sane/tools/find-scanner -d /dev/whatever, possibly because I don't know what device is the *real* device for parport accessed scanners. linux seriously needs an index with a short description of the functions available thru each such device.

It does claim TWAIN_32 compliance, and appears to be a quite simple pcb in the unit, the largest chip haveing an 'HRP8701' stamped on it, along with a logo that may be Shining Technologies image.. Most of the rest of them appear to be tsop versions of the usual ttl/cmos glue logic.

Can you offer any help, url's and such?

Cheers, Gene