Re: [PARPORT] CDRW on parallel port

mpol@gmx.net
Mon, 8 Nov 1999 22:54:01 +0100

On Monday 8 November wrote Kenneth Francken

> I bought a FREECOM Portable CDRW drive.
> This is connected via an IQ-cable to the parallel port of
> my notebook (running Redhat 6.0).
> The drive itself is a RICOH MP7040A.
>
> I can do the following under Linux:
> > insmod paride
> > insmod friq
> > insmod pcd
> and then mount /dev/pcd0 to read from an existing CDROM.
> All nice up to now.
>
> I also want to use cdrecord.
> If I type 'cdrecord -scanbus' I get an error (no such file
> or directory - cannot find SCSI device).
> As I understand it, cdrecord only uses the SCSI protocol.
> But if I look in the CD-Writing HOWTO, they only mention
> paride to include for parallel port.
>
> Can someone help me with this problem?

I do not know much about CD burners. What I know is that you should compile
your kernel with some things. I write about normal CD rom ATAPI, I do not
know if this works for CD roms at the parallel port, but I guess it does.
You have to say no to support for ATAPI CD rom. You have to say yes to SCSI
emulation. Also you should say yes to SCSI support, CD rom SCSI support and
I guess also to SCSI generic devices. You cannot load them as modules, that
does not work. You have to compile this into the kernel.
With me my (normal) CD roms are detected as /dev/sr0 and /dev/sr1. I linked
/dev/scd0 and /dev/scd1 to these. What to do with /dev/sg0 I don't know, I
cannot help you with devices. This is just as far as I got.
I read this in the documentation which came with the package Xcdroast 0.96.

Marcel Pol