Re: [PARPORT] Programming Parallel ports Question

Clemens Kirchgatterer (clemens@root.at)
Wed, 10 Nov 1999 10:16:01 +0100

Alan Cox wrote:

> > Linux, I would like to know the header file used and the corresponding
> > functions. Again, if anyone knows, I'd like to have a way to program any
> > given I/O ports on the system with Linux.
>
> Well firstly the kernel will stop you, as random users going poking in I/O space
> is a bad thing. Secondly you may not even be running on a CPU with equivalent
> instructions.
>
> If you absolutely have to go poking around from userspace , read man ioperm and
> include/asm/io.h. But generally you don't want to

reading this, leads me to a simple question.
i´ve made a little user-space driver (plus some higher level library functions)
to connect an old lc-display to the parallel port.

does the parport driver provide an API to control the data and ctrl lines of the
parallelport directly, so i can make my driver hardware independent?

latly i had to read the 132 pages long documentation of my chipset, to find out
how to switch to PS2-mode. ;-)

warm regards ...
clemens