[PARPORT] IEEE1284

WODECKI, Victor (VWODECKI@baea.com.au)
Tue, 30 Nov 1999 17:56:28 +1030

I've got a piece of A/D hardware which interfaces via a parallel port,
using IEEE-1284. I need to get it working with Linux, and am a bit
confused over where I stand.

(I'm running RH6.1, kernel 2.2.12.)

Looking through the kernel sources, there is some IEEE1284 support, but
I'm not clear on how complete this is. I've connected the A/D device
to the linux machine, parport_probe is telling me that it is an unknown
device, unknown manufacturer. (Which doesn't prove much.)

Presumably I need to write a driver for the hardware, but I don't know
how best to start. I've written device drivers for other platforms, and
done a bit of playing with modules under linux, so the learning curve
shouldn't be too steep. However, all my previous device driver
experience has been with PCI devices.

Looking at the "Linux Parallel Port Sharing (parport)" web pages
at http://www.cyberelk.demon.co.uk/parport.html, it seems that the
kernel version I'm running doesn't do IEEE1284. Is this correct?
Does this mean that 2.2.12 only does partial IEEE1284, or what?

Should I upgrade to 2.3.x, or perhaps 2.2.13 with appropriate patches?
Should I proceed with a user-space driver, or a module, or ??

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Victor Wodecki.