Re: [PARPORT] Speeding up the HP colorado 5GB tape

Ian Soboroff (ian@cs.umbc.edu)
03 Dec 1999 12:08:41 -0500

Tim Coninx <Tim.Coninx@cs.kuleuven.ac.be> writes:

> Can anyone give me a clear example about how to speed up my tapedriver ?
> The first way should be something about setting the port delay to zero,
> the second way about setting the block size. (tar -b ?)

yes, setting the port delay to zero may speed things up for you, or
it might cause the backup not to work. YMMV. setting the -b option
in GNUtar to 64 ( = 32768 / 512) should get you blocking at the same
throughput as the port.

> I tried the tapedriver with winblows the other day, with the drivers from
> HP. It went much faster (I guess 4 times as fast), and there was a small
> catalogue written on the beginning of the tape.
>
> About the catalogue, is there some linux program that also can do this
> (preferably in a compatible way) ?

IMHO the best way to do this is to to an 'ls -lR' of the tree you're
backing up, and specify that file first in the tar line so it's the
first thing in the archive. voila, catalog. and even portable ;-)
ian

--
----
Ian Soboroff                                       ian@cs.umbc.edu