[PARPORT] Slack Backpack problems.

Markus Heistad (markus.heistad@telehuset.no)
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 13:26:23 +0100

I am installing Slackware linux 4.0 (patch 2.2.6) on my 486 system.

Unfortunately things are not going smoothly; the reason for this is my not having any internal CD-ROM-player, but a Backpack 4x paralell-port CD-ROM.

When I try the pportide.i bootdisk, the system detects my Backpack finely, but due to memory shortage (8MB of RAM) the installation eventually halts. So, until now, I have only installed the basic system via floppy.

After searching HOWTOs and linux-sites I found your site describing the paride module system. But the modules do not seem to install correctly. Here is what I have done:

I have edited /etc/rc.d/rc.modules to support loading of kerneld, and after the column
#PC parallell port support.

i have inserted:

#Paride system
/sbin/modprobe paride
/sbin/modprobe bpck
/sbin/modprobe pcd drive0=0x378, 0

Upon reboot these messages are printed on my console:

Starting kerneld, version 2.1.121 (pid 28)
parport0: PC-style at 0x378 (SPP)
paride: version 1.04 installed
paride: bpck registered as protocol 0
pcd: pcd version 1.07, major 46, nice 0
pcd0: Adapter not found
pcd: No CD-ROM drive found
/lib/modules/2.2.6/misc/pcd.o: init_module: Device or resource busy.

What does this mean (I am a novice Linux-user): I have tried different CMOS paralell-port-settings (the three different that are possibel).

If I try insmoding these modules when the system is up I get the same error messages. If I try insmod pcd (without arguments) the system hangs during probe.

Is there any obvious blunder I am making?

Yours sincerely

Markus Heistad :-[]