RE: [PARPORT] HP 672 DeskJet printer, HP 5100C scanner & modules

marcel pol (mpol@gmx.net)
Fri, 24 Dec 1999 12:05:43 -0000 (/etc/localtime

On 23-Dec-99 Janine Roe wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm new to the world of linux and kernels and all. I've gotton my HP5100
> scanner to work (for the most part) but I have a few questions that I'm
> hoping
> someone could help me with.
>
> 1. Is there a place that one should place these modules so a user can run
> modprobe? I currently have the modules in /usr/src/linux/modules and I am
> unable to load them as a user. Root only.

I don't know. What you can do is place 'insmod ppscsi' and 'insmod
appropriate-module' in /etc/rc.d/boot.local. Then they are loaded at boot. But
I guess that's not what you want.

> 2. I'm trying to get my printer to work which is daisy chained to the HP5100
> C scanner. I noticed in a earlier posting that you need to load lp as a
> module.
> But how does one do that?

There are a few lines:

# alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
# options parport_pc io=0x378 irq=none,none

The comments # should be removed.
Then when you give the command 'lpr file' the kernel deamon should
automatically load the modules.

> Where would this be in menuconfig.

General setup:
  parallel-port support (module parport)
  pc-style hardware (module parport_pc)
Character devices
  parallel printer support (module lp)
  support IEEE 1284

It's the best to build these as modules.
The last one "support IEEE 1284" is in my opinion not important.

> Right now, I don't think I have lp or lpr as a module?

Check the directory /lib/modules if the modules exist.
The modules you mention (somewhere in the ~/src/~ directory are links that are
needed by the compiler. They have nothing to do with the loading of the modules.

> I used to be able to just lpr <file> and print. Now it does nothing...

Check the logfiles in /var/spool/lpd/~/log after you gave the command 'lpr
file'.

Marcel Pol