Re: [PARPORT] Please tell me how to make my printer work in Red Hat 6.1

Alexandre Blanchette (blanalex@blanalex.dyndns.org)
Sun, 2 Jan 2000 16:56:01 -0500

On Sun, Jan 02, 2000 at 03:28:53PM -0500, ohm wrote:
> Dear Sir,
>
> I have Red Hat 6.1 installed on my computer that my brother got me for
> Christmas. I installed the setup with printer support.
>
> When I use the Gnome Contol Panel Print Tool, I see that there are no
> devices on lp0, lp1, lp2. When I try to install my printer and test it,
> nothing happens. Then I delete all /var/spool/lp directories.
>
> I have added this line to my /etc/conf.modules file:
> alias paraport_lowlevel paraport_pc as per web help suggested. This did
> not help at all, the printer still does not work
>
> I have an Epson Stylus Color 800 printer.
>
> Please help me to get my local printer running under Red Hat Linux 6.1

all you need is to get RedHat's updated package of lpr. You can get it at
ftp://updates.redhat.com/6.1/i386/lpr-0.46-1.i386.rpm .

i suggest you before installing/upgrading the package that you remove the
line you added to /etc/conf.modules because the package will add the
correct line (you've got a typo, it's `parport_...', not `paraport_...'.

to upgrade the lpr package, just do rpm -Uvh lpr-0.46-1.i386.rpm and that
should theoraticly solve your problem.

Alexandre Blanchette

Hubbard's Law:
   "Don't take life too seriously, you won't get out of it alive."