Re: [PARPORT] HP Colorado 5GB parallel port Tape Drive

Nathan Meyers (nmeyers@javalinux.net)
Tue, 11 Jan 2000 08:10:43 -0800

Mohan Perumal wrote:

> Hi,
> As specified in the 'torque.net' URL, I have
> configured my HP colorado 5GB parallel port on my Red
> Hat Linux 6.1 System.
>
> I use the command 'tar -c * >/dev/pt0' to create a
> backup, 'tar -x * < /dev/pt0'. Both works very fine.
> I don't know how I can perform an incremental
> backup and/or append mode backup. Along with this I
> also wish to know how I can create a log file of the
> operation.

To fit additional backups onto the tape, you can use the "mt" command to
position the tape past the last thing you've put on the tape. Example:

    mt -f <tape_drive> eod

where <tape_drive> is the non-rewinding tape device.

Doing incremental backups is a matter of choosing which files to back up
and which not to. Tar isn't especially helpful there, but using "find"
and "cpio" together is one way to do it. You can get an overview of many
available backup utilities, some of which include incremental
capabilities, by looking at:

http://stommel.tamu.edu/~baum/linuxlist/linuxlist/node9.html#backupsoftware

Nathan Meyers
nmeyers@javalinux.net