Re: [PARPORT] HP Colorado 5GB parallel port Tape Drive

Mohan P (mhn_amp@yahoo.co.uk)
Wed, 12 Jan 2000 18:06:34 +0500

Hi Tim,

At 05:50 PM 11/1/2000 +0100, you wrote:
>This is a problem that bothers me too.
>
>I know there are two devices: you use /dev/pt0 if you want the tape to rewind
>after the archiving, /dev/npt0 if you don't want the tape to rewind.
>
>I think you have to write scripts to force some special behaviour, or read
the
>manpage of tar in detail.
>For example: to update your tape archive, you can use the command
>
>tar uvf /dev/pt0 /dir/to/archive
>
>Tip: to archive, I use the commands
> tar czvf /dev/pt0 /dir/to/archive
> tar xzvf /dev/pt0
>
>the 'z' ensures all data will first be compressed, so your tape can
contain up
>to 8 GB compressed data (like the ad said ;-)
>
>If anyone also knows of a few handy tricks with tar, I would very much
like to
>hear about them.
>
>Bye
>
>Tim

        Thanks very much for your reply, 'tar' really works fine. I had a couple
of hitches.
1. It doesnot allow me to use the option -u in zipped mode. If it can,
please correct me.
2 I tried the follwing to test

mhn> cat testmsg
This is a test file. Isn't it ..?

mhn> tar cf /dev/pt0 testmsg

* Modified testmsg

mhn> cat testmsg
This is a testfile. Yes, it is.

mhn> tar uf /dev/pt0 testmsg
pt0: HP COLORADO 5GBe, master, blocksize 512, 2458 MB
pt0: Unimplemented mt_op 4
tar: Could not backspace archive file; it may be unreadable with -i
tar: cannot write to /dev/pt0: Input/output error

mhn>

        Well, I don't understand this message. Can u please help me out.

Regards

Mohan P