Re: [PARPORT] Problem: plain jane Centronics won't go

Philip Blundell (pb@labs.futuretv.com)
Mon, 17 Jan 2000 16:14:32 +0000

>When I try to "lpr afile", the LCD display on the printer says, successively,

Can you try sending a file with just `cat foo.ps >/dev/lp0'? That would rule
out any odd behaviour on the part of lpd.

>What should I try to get this thing to work? Are the stock kernels
>more ready to probe a more advanced IEEE-1284 device and too ready to
>punt on my Jurassic printer? Do I need to rebuild the kernel in a
>special way?

No, it should "just work". It's possible that the IEEE-1284 probe is somehow
upsetting your printer and leaving it in a strange state, but it doesn't seem
likely from what you've said.

p.