Re: [PARPORT] Sharing a parallel port

Audin Malmin (amalmin@halcyon.com)
Sun, 23 Jan 2000 11:22:21 -0800

On Sun, Jan 23, 2000 at 02:02:24PM -0500, Jeffrey J. Jenkins wrote:
> This time, I tried to load sg, ppscsi, and onscsi with modprobe (instead
> on insmod). The scanner works again, but the printer still becomes locked
> once I have loaded the scanner modules, though it will still cue
> jobs. (So, as expected trying to restart lpd has no effect.)
> After loading the other modules: (scanner functional, lp locked)
>
> # /sbin/lsmod
> Module Size Used by
> sg 14924 0
> parport_probe 2980 0 (autoclean) (unused)
> lp 5052 0 (autoclean) (unused)
> parport 7060 0 (autoclean) [parport_probe lp]
> onscsi 14348 0
> ppscsi 10128 1 [onscsi]
>
> Again, I'm also running the 2.2.12-20 kernel. I'm using ppscsi and onscsi
> to work by using the 2.2.13-ppSCSI-19990712

        What does dmesg say? There should be an lp entry in there somewhere
that will (maybe) tell you what went wrong.

        Also, why is there no "parport_pc" module shown in your lsmod? Do you
(assuming your on an x86 machine) have the "alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc"
line in your conf.modules?

        The ppscsi drivers have this rather annoying property in that they will
function both with and without the parport sharing code... If they correctly
detect the parport code when they load, then they will use it. However, if
they don't, then they will take over the port themselves. In this last case,
nothing else is able to share the port with them. I suspect this is your
problem.

        I'm able to get my HP 5200C scanner (using the epst module) to work if
I:

        modprobe parport_pc (automatically loads parport as well)
        modprobe epst (auto. loads ppscsi)
        modprobe lp

        No other arraignment seems to work. I also have to make sure that no
other parport modules are loaded before the above commands...

--
                                            Audin Malmin - amalmin@halcyon.com